Saturday, March 8, 2014

Cosplay, me and my body

After reading some very good posts about cosplay and appearance I got into thinking my own relation with this hobby and my body image and now I'm here, writing this post.

I almost never write anything like this publicly, I love keeping my thoughts to myself, as I am really insecure but I don't want to show that to anyone as I feel it makes me vulnerable and people get to see that I'm actually as strong as I make them believe I am. So this is a post where I'm telling about myself and my insecurities that have mostly come with my dear hobby (is it that dear if it makes you hate yourself, even for little?)



I have never really been a girl that other would have been jealous of. 
I was the one that the boys of the class would make fun of for who knows what reasons.
I was always tall, already in elementary school and I think that I also reached my current height in a pretty early age. Height has never been an issue for me; well not before I started cosplaying.

About my looks otherwise, I was a pretty normal child in every way (well, I was tall as I stated already) but for some reason I also found my flaws in an early age. I almost never thought that I was pretty or beautiful.
I hated (still from time to time) my nose, I have always thought that it's too wide and my chin, ugh, it's so tiny that if I look down (or laugh) it may look like I have a double-chin (which I don't ;;__;;). So from an early age I've wanted to go under the knife and get something done for myself. (Happily that's not really the case though I may have these thoughts every now and then.)

I guess at a certain age I had forgotten everything that I hated about myself and then I started cosplaying.
At first I was just having fun dressing as characters that I loved. The appearance wasn't that important for me, which you can see by looking at old photos of my first three or so cosplays.
But as I continued this hobby I also got more and more aware of me and my body and my looks - with cosplay I slowly started to hate my height - which I had been so proud of. There's really nothing you can do about being tall, but every time I talk about group cosplays or so it gets harder for me as I really want to cosplay character X but as I'm so tall I need to go with character Y. That's also one reason I like (and dislike) to cosplay alone (though sometimes my height comes an issue even then because I feel that I'm too tall for the character). Happily there's been a lot of nice groups where I have been able to cosplay the character that I've wanted to cosplay despite my height.

But there's more beneath the surface than just my height. 
I am pretty fine with my face now days, but my body. I know that I'm pretty normal looking and there's some things I'm proud in my body (according to the women's size chart I have extremely small waist (it's compared to your bust and hip in that chart)).
But mainly I think that I'm too fat.
In everyday life I don't think that I look bad - actually I think that my body is quite okay. (Still thinking about losing weight though)
I have these dream cosplays that I would loooove to make (for example; Fran (FF XII) and Five (Drakengard 3)) but I can't because I think that I would have to lose at least 40kg (okay, I would be _really_ underweight then, haha) before even thinking of starting to make those.
Fun fact is that I think that anyone should be able to cosplay whatever they want not caring about their body type. But at the same time I won't allow myself that. If you look at my past cosplays you will notice how everything covers certain areas in my body (well Lenne is the exception here)

Actually because of this I have hoped about getting an eating disorder (like you could get sick with those just like that. And I know it's extremely dangerous too to have an eating disorder. I guess I'm just trying to tell how deep I was) back in 2012-2013.
Not that I would want that anymore. Though I have had "bad moments".
One of those moments has been last fall when I just casually looked at myself in the mirror and I actually just started crying. There is not more to it but that I just loathed the image I saw in the mirror.

Even though I do receive positive feedback on my looks I don't feel like that I am that pretty/beautiful/whatever.
I'm able to say my thanks without any difficulties though I may get a little nervous (in a good way, all blushy and stuff - because who doesn't want to be called pretty - it's another thing to feel like that yourself)



Compared to the other two stories that I read they have gained more confidence and started accepting themselves through this hobby while I have started hating myself or at least hating parts of my body. I have never before actually thought that this hobby is making me sick or that it's bad for me - until writing this out.
But I think that I can also gain those things that the others have.
I know that I have really twisted body image in my head, but hopefully I will get rid of it.
And I guess in a way I have already started my way to a healthier body image in my head - today when I looked myself in the mirror I was already accepting myself more as I am (and not crying after seeing my reflection :DD).

But I really wanted to share this here despite the fact that I don't have a happy story to tell.
It was good for me - not keeping this inside. Now I'm just hoping that I won't regret posting this.
Also I had something on my mind but I forgot it so let's hope it wasn't that important.

Hopefully it stayed intact as my mind was flowing from one thought to another.
So I hope that it was easy to read and that it had some kind of red thread!
Posting this also got me into thinking that maybe after some time I should write again - maybe if the image has changed and if the reason is found in my hobby or something.. Well we'll see.



Next time I'll hopefully be able to show you the photos that I took at Desucon Frostbite (I know I've been slow with those, whoops)!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for having courage to write this post. Cosplay really can make one feel insecure about your own body because other people tend to judge you by your looks and not by how good your outfit has been sewn. It can really get to you sometimes and you tend to forget that it shouldn't matter what other people say...nor should you believer what your mind tells you/ makes you feel because we ourselves are the worst judges.

    My story is similar to yours: I've never been satisfied with my looks without knowing why and receiving and handling positive feedback is very demanding. Cosplay has made me hate my body and it has made me lose weigh. At times you stop and think why go through all this trouble for just one hobby but I've seen that it has been worth is because it makes the quality of your life better (ie. excercise, eating healthy etc.) You are doing it for yourself, to gain something you dream of.

    It is not a bad thing to know yourself or to judge yourself, unless you are doing it too hard. Never forget why you started cosplaying in the first place :) Once more thank you and keep on cosplaying. You'll find your red thread through finding more out about yourself.

    Luv, Koochie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading it! Also thank you for sharing your thoughts too!

      It is true that because of others you start to judge yourself more and more. Must be why I'm at this point atm.
      Though I have never been judged by my skills or body type (that I know of, don't know what other say behind my back) I know how people do judge others and that must make me more cautious.

      I agree with what you say, cosplay has made me eat more healthily and think about exercising (I hate it but I'm actually synchronized skater so I do skate. That's good, I guess.).

      You are truly right. And now that I wrote my thoughts out I actually feel a lot better. Though I myself still live with the thoughts I can look at this more positively. Hopefully I'll actually get to be fine with myself and it's going to be better if this hobby can actually help me to get there! :)

      Delete
  2. (Blogauksen kielestä huolimatta vastaan suomeksi, koska se on itselleni luontevin tapa kirjoittaa.)

    Komppaan Koochieta. Vaatii ihan mielettömän paljon rohkeuttaa kirjoittaa näinkin arasta aiheesta julkisesti, joten propseja sinulle. <3

    Pystyn sympatisoimaan, vaikka tilanteeni ei olekaan ihan samanlainen. Olen itse tänä päivänä suht tyytyväinen kroppaani (vaikka mullakin, kuten varmasti jokaisella naisella, on aina joku paikka kropassa jonka toivoisi olevan laihempi/kiinteämpi/tms), mutta näin ei ole ollut aina. Olen sairastanut (rasitus)astmaa alle kouluikäisestä asti ja ollut melkein puolet elämästäni ihan aktiivilääkityksellä, mistä syystä en oo koskaan pystynyt harrastamaan urheilua "normaalien nuorten tavoin". Koululiikunta oli yleisesti katsoen hirveää pakkopullaa, ja aloin jo uskoa olevani ikuisesti tuomittu siihenaikaisiin muotoihini (hieman ylimääräistä). Vasta etnisten tanssien kautta (v. 2008) löysin näiden sekä ylipäätään liikunnan ilon, ja tämän omaehtoisen innostumsen kautta rupesi pohjakunto pikkuhiljaa kasvamaan ja piilevät kropan kurvit löytymään.

    Cosplay on vahvasti visuaalinen harrastus, mistä syystä siihen ymmärrettävästi linkittyy ulkonäköpaineita. Vaikka näin ei ole aina ollut, itselleni harrastus on toiminut viime vuosina enemmänkin motivaattorina huolehtia itsestä ja kropasta. Toisaalta, viime aikoina terveydelliset syyt ovat suurenevassa määrin motivoineet liikkumaan, kun tajusin kantapään kautta miten koville selkä joutuu istumatyön takia (jouduin kyseisistä vaivoista johtuen loppuvuodesta ihan saikulle asti). Minulla tosin alkaa ikää olla puntarissa jo sen verran, joten kukaties, tää saattaapi olla myös sitä iän tuomaa viisautta. En kuitenkaan uskoisi, että olisin sen vertaa onnellisempi muutamaa kiloa laihempana (laihduttaminen on muutenkin hankalaa sillä rakastan (hyvää) ruokaa yksinkertaisesti liikaa!), koska olen erityisesti parin viime vuoden aikana tajunnut, mikä tässä harrastuksessa on minulle tärkeintä: kaikki ne samanhenkiset, ihanat oliot jotka olen tavannut harrastuksen kautta ja joita ilman en voisi kuvitella eläväni. Siis juurikin te kanssaharrastajat!

    On äärimmäisen helppoa verrata itseä muihin ja pitää itseä vähemmän hyvänä pukuilijana, oli syy mikä tahansa - tällainen ajatusmalli taitaa olla meillä suomalaisilla vahvasti geeneissä. Ihan kun Koochie sanoi tuossa yllä, on kuitenkin hyvä muistaa, että emme tosiaan ole luotettavimpia tyyppejä arvostelemaan itseämme. Eikä erilainen kroppa tee meistä mitenkään automaattisesti toisia harrastajia huonompaa. Toivon, että löydät asian tiimoilta rauhan itsesti kanssa ja jatkat cosplay'ta. Tässä harrastuksessa on kuitenkin niin paljon valtavan hyviä asioita, ja nehän loppupelissä merkitsevät kaikista eniten. <3

    (Pahoittelut, tuli aikamoinen sillisalaatti. Tajunnanvirta vei mukanaan kun halusin antaa viisisenttiseni aiheeseen liittyen ;__; <3)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Ei haittaa, itsekkin olisin halunnut kirjoittaa suomeksi, mutta blogin ehdoilla kirjoitin englanniksi :D)

      Kiitos, vaikkakin nyt jälkeen päin tuntuu siltä, että ei se ollutkaan niin paha asia! Kirjoitus hetkellä ja julkaisu hetkellä jännitti tämän laittaminen nettiin, mutta nyt olen iloinen että sen tein :)

      Vaikka tilanne meillä on ollut eri (itsehän harrastin luistelua 5-vuotiaasta 15-vuotiaaksi ja aloitin sen nyt uudelleen!), ne silti tavallaan kohtaavat. Samanlainen kokemus meiltä ainakin löytyy, sillä ala-aste ikäisenä minulla oli hinkuyskä n. vuoden ajan ja noh, kaikki urheilu oli silloin vaikeaa, eli hieman osaan kuvitella, millaista sinulla on silloin ollut. Vaikka samalla en todellakaan. Tiedät kyllä mitä tarkoitan :D Luulen.

      Luulen, että kaikessa missä itsensä laittaa esille tulee myös nämä ulkonäköpaineet vastaan. Jo luistelussa oli meikki oli tärkeässä osassa, sillä puku, hiukset ja meikki oli osa kokonaisuutta vaikka niitähän ei mitenkään arvosteltu (tai no, esiintymispisteissä jne ne saattoivat vaikuttaa).
      Itsellä on ehkä hukassa juuri nyt se cosplayn "oikea" merkitys, koska mietin aina ensimmäisenä hahmoa katsoessani sitä, että olenko liian pitkä/mielestäni iso/jne hahmoksi. Aika usein siis uudet hahmot tyrmään listaltani vaikka ne olisivat kuinka kivoja juuri sen takia että itse koen etten kelpaisi hahmoksi. Jos joltain toiselta pyytäisin mielipidettä hän saattaisi olla ihan erimieltä. Toivon, että tästä pääsisi jotenkin ylitse, sillä se tekee niin ihanasta harrastuksesta hieman ikävän. Mutta luulen tämän postauksen olevan nyt yksi tapa itselleni päästä takaisin lähemmäs sitä hauskanpitoa mitä se alku aikoinaan oli! Tosin en usko että koskaan voisin unohtaa ulkonäöllisiä paineita. Vaikka en helposti ota kommentteja itseeni (olen kasvattanut niitä kohtaan aika paksun nahan) niin ite olen tosiaan itseni pahin arvostelija.

      ps. Mäkin rakasta (hyvää) ruokaa ihan liikaa<3 omnomnom!
      pps. Toivottavasti tästä sai jotain selvääkin :DD Tuntuu että kirjoitin niin paljon että en enään tiedä missä menen, hah.

      (sillisalaatti on paras<3 ja sinä<3)

      Delete
  3. Henkilönä, jolla on ollut syömishäiriö, haluan painottaa aika rankasti, että älä jooko toivo ikinä saavasi sitä. Ymmärrän, että olet ajatellut tuollaisia vain heikkoina hetkinä, mutta koita muistaa se, että vaikka siinä lähtisikin kiloja, se ajatusmalli on kahta kauheampi kuin mitä se on ilman syömishäiriötä. Paino saattaa pudota, mutta peilistä katsoo takaisin aina vain lihavampi tyyppi kuin mitä sen peilin edessä seisoo, ja mitä pidemmälle sairaus etenee, sitä rankempaa se on ja sitä vääristyneempi kuva itsestään on. Syömishäiriö ei ole koskaan ratkaisu. Eli vaikka se kuinka tuntuisi kurjalta olla omassa kropassa, syömishäiriön kanssa se olo on tuhat kertaa kurjempi ja se on pakkomielle. Tiedän, että tiedät sen, mutta sanoin nyt silti. Koska tuntuu vaan pahalta kuulla tuollaista.

    Mutta kiitos, että jaoit ajatuksiasi. :C ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onhan se sellainen asia jota ei toivoisi kenellekkään, mutta joskus oli sellaisia ajatuksia. Mietin kyllä kaksi ketaa, että laitanko sitä tähänpostaukseen, mutta annoin mennä koska halusin postauksen olevan rehellinen. Itse asiassa juuri sinä kävit siinä vaiheessa mielessä ja ajattelinkin, että susta ei olisi varmaankaan kiva lukea sellaista että joku on itselleen syömishäiriötä toivonut..
      Silloin aikoinaan kun sitä toivoin monesti ruokailun jälkeen saatoin miettiä että menisinkö oksentamaan (tätä en koskaan tehnyt, mutta ajatuksena se oli. Taisin tosin kerran ihan kokeillakkin mutta ei musta vain ollut siihen). Koin silloin että olisi niin paljon helpompaa jos vain olisi syömishäiriö.

      Nykyhetkessä en todellakaan sitä enään edes ajattele onneksi minkäänlaisena "ratkaisuna" tai "vaihtoehtona". Yritän vain elää terveellisemmin :) Kuten nyt jonkin aikaa olen aloittanut aamuni sitruunavedellä ja omenalla. Ja aika hyvältä tuntuu :D

      Luin muuten tottakai sinun postauksen, vaikka olitkin niistä asioista ihan kasvotustenkin joskus puhunut niin oli se silti nyt aika ajatuksia herättävä. Sieltäkin löytyi ainakin sitä asennetta, jota voisin itsellenikin ammentaa, joten kiitos itsellesi ♥

      Delete